Day 1 to 8





 
First of all, a big sorry that I did not drop anything in this blog earlier, but only after 14 days on the hike.

By now 15th July ,  I made it to about 280km and over 14000m up and down and today I stopped in Hohentauern for a day to relax and don’t move.

It was amazing and you may login to Instagram and check for MP.trekking to find my hiking profile. At least some great pictures and short comments available…

Where to start to tell a bit more?

Guess on day one:  the sound to the first day was “somewhere in between “ Kate Bush. And it describes my move into this completely different way of living.

All you have is in the backpack, and for most of the day you just enjoy the things you see … and smell… indeed I started to realize the Forrest, the grass and flowers, the wind and it all around me with multiple senses. 

  

The first day was already tough with more then 32 km hiking and ended on the Hocheck with a brilliant night sheltered only by the blue night sky 

Day Two continued to completely take me out of my Live I had the last year’s.  Forest hikes and nice views over the hills of Vienna forest made me loosing myself into 100% enjoyment. 

 The day was hot under a full blue sky and I was happy to hike most times in shadow forests. But it also included a first real peak „Peilstein“

I ended the day with another great sleeping spot sheltered by a little chapel 



Day Three moved me back into the valley to Gutenstein, and because of an upcoming rain I enjoyed a jump into the public pool for free,  it’s great to swim while it’s raining. To the evening I made it up on the hills again to see the thunderstorm clouds passing by.


Day Four  the day to test my rain equipment… 

outcome… wet from in and out anyway 🙈 Luckily the rain stopped while I enjoyed a hot soup at the Edelweisshütte.  I met Andi there, did not realize yet that we will have the same path for about a week.  It stopped raining, and we enjoyed  our way down into a step valley where I had a bed in a hut the first time.  How nice it can be to enjoy a hot shower and well cooked food 😃

Day Five: into some real mountains…  as the rain yesterday really messed up the plan to reach 2000 m above sea level today we made it: Starting with a nice steep climb into the Veitsch mountain region we found ourselves above the tree line with really nice views in all directions.   

 Spending the night at Karl Ludwig Haus made it the first sleep above 1800 m. 

The sunrise at 5 in the morning woke me up,  and I was not aware yet that a great climbing experience was waiting for us that day.

The “zahmer Gamsecksteig” , a black Level hiking trail down the mountain made us feeling fresh Adrenalin in our bodies, not too difficult, but secured with ropes and some ladders a great climb down 

We had to hike up again and could experience a first time that a summer in the mountains can be chilly, the sun was covered in clouds, wind changed more into a storm , and we luckily reached a mountain farm that served a great cheese soup while some rain passed by.

I continued back down from the mountains to jump into a lake… ever been swimming when the lake is warmer then the air outside?  Great fun.

It started raining in the evening so luckily I had a nice room to sleep.

Day Six: 

The morning had still some rain for me so I had to start hiking with my raincoat. It moved into a mix of clouds and sun fresh and windy but in the forest it was nice to hike until the blueberry fields started. The path was very very small through those fields and the blueberries where soaking wet, so where my socks and shoes in a few kilometers. I had to drain them twice and then I took a detour on the Forest Trail to reach a small hut just above the border line off the trees. My destination was the Graf Meran Haus on 1800 m and up there storm, clouds and rain catched me.  A weather station at mountain top close by measured only 2 degrees Celsius and a wind speed up to 170km/h that day.  Was that really what I expected from a summer hike 🤨 

And guess what, Andi, his girlfriend and another two distance traveler joined in the hut a little later. A cold, and windy night made us freeze in the night, the small breakfast and the fact that the weather stayed as last night made as a frosty start into my Day Seven.

If you miss the Hochschwab story here ... have to correct myself...we have another fog and storm event ... stay tuned

Continuing through storm Wind and rain it took ages before we reached areas with trees again, and we really appreciated finally to be out of the clouds and the wind. Indeed the weather improved more and more and finally we could see some sunshine through the clouds while approaching Sonnenschien Hütte.

Slowly out of the clouds 

Approaching the hut finally …


Day Eight  started with a little sunshine 

… more to come … running out of time and mood to play on the smartphone 😉

No network in the room, and probably not on day 16-18

Will climb into the „Niedere Tauern tomorrow“

It’s the best adventure of my recent life !!!

Go out and hike !! Experience nature and yourself!!


Some more impressions:

Starting at Weichtalhaus 


  

Wild Capricorns near Voisthaler 

On our way to Voisthaler Hütte




Reichensteinhütte in Fog and storm

Kasnockerln at Mödlinger Hütte, the best so far

We still made it to 2217 on top of the Hochschwab… call us crazy… but it was indeed the easier hike to continue our route. With sunshine it would have been a 15 minute walk 

from the Graf Meran - hut to the peak, and we got the promise with really great views all around. Indeed a few days later I have seen this peak looking backwards

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened until August

Looking back to an unforgettable adventure Part 1 - summary-

Day 23 On my way to the Dachstein region